It’s not easy being a geek. No matter what you’re interested in, collecting for your favourite franchise or hobby can be prohibitively expensive and in today’s climate it’s getting harder and harder to find any spare funds to spend let alone buying more than the occasional item for your collection. However, it can be done with a little frugal shopping and some hunting around and we thought that it would be a great idea to not only give you all some ideas and inspiration, but to have some fun with it along the way…
We wondered what it would be like if we set ourselves a challenge of going out into the wild with a fixed budget and seeing just what geek goodies we could come back with. The plan was simple – as long as it was geek related it could be absolutely anything whether it was video games, retro games, comic, books, movies, toys – you name it! We’ll be reporting back on what we picked up shortly but we want to open it up to all of you to get involved as well to show us what YOU can find on your own geek treasure hunt…
To take part all you have to do is spend a maximum of £15 (excluding postage) on anything geek related and send us an email with photos and a 600+ word mini blog as a Word file about what you have spent, where, what you paid and why you made your choices, with individual item and a collective group photo of your final haul. The rules of entry are pretty simple:-
- Maximum spend is £15 (or the equivalent in your local currency). This doesn’t include postage for items bought online
- The total can be spent on a single or multiple items
- Items can be new or second hand
- Everything must be purchased in stores, recognised traders (market stalls or from collectors fairs etc) or online. Purchases do not count if they are made from individuals or from classified adverts
- Items purchases as part of lots can not be included unless the entire bundle is included towards the £15 spend
- Items don’t have to stick to a set theme as long as it is all geek related
- Scans/photos of receipts should be provided where possible although these will not be published
- Items must be purchased for your own collection, not for resale. Those found to be doing so will be disqualified from the prize draw entry
We reserve the right to publish all submissions. The best of those that we publish at the end of each month will win £20 payable to the winner via PayPal. We reserve the right to increase this amount or add additional runners up prizes without notice.
Send all your entries via email to us to email@example.com
Good luck guys!
Husband, father and lifelong geek. Originally from the West Midlands, now spending my days in South Wales with my family and a house full of animals. Passionate about video games, especially retro gaming, the Commodore 64 and PlayStation Vita. Love pro wrestling, sci-fi and I’m an animal lover and vegetarian.
Enjoyed this and my other articles? Why not buy me a coffee: http://ko-fi.com/simonplumbe